Consumer Electronics Show 2016 – New Car Seat Technology
The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) took place in Las Vegas last week and there was some exciting new technology being showcased from the child car seat industry.
CES2016 unveiled the world’s first self-installing car seat, a new child car seat from 4Moms, an established company that markets innovative child products, including seats, strollers, high chairs and tubs. Their products look to use latest technologies to enhance safety and convenience and have received various prestigious awards, for example the Reddot award for product design for their rockaRoo™ infant seat.
4Moms’ latest creation, a rear-facing-only infant child car seat features self-installing technology that automatically tensions and levels the seat once it’s attached to a vehicle using LATCH. The seat also connects via Bluetooth to your smartphone using the 4Moms app for customised installation of the child seat and continuous monitoring of its status. One of the main causes of child injury and death during car accidents is incorrectly installed car seats and this seat is looking to technology to solve this problem by automating the process. This technology is therefore very exciting as it has the potential to dramatically improve child safety on the roads.
The seat will be suitable for use with children from 4 to 30 pounds that are 32 inches or less. The seat is powered by 8 D cell batteries, which are designed to last for normal use of the seat with one child.
In addition to the futuristic technology the seat will also include the following features:
- 5-point harness system – Harness pockets and self-retracting buckle make it easy to secure baby
- Adjustable headrest with no-rethread harness – Easy to adjust as baby grows and ensures harness is always threaded correctly
- Full coverage canopy – Complete with peekaboo window and pop out shade for added privacy and sun protection
- Side impact protection – EPS foam and deep foot well provide added protection. Passes NHTSA’s proposed standard for side impact protection.
- Infant insert – Provides proper fit for even the smallest babies (4-11 lbs)
- Travel system compatible – Compatible with premium strollers for use as travel system. Specific models to be announced.
- Can be manually installed with base or using carrier only
- Available in black, grey, and tan
The 4Moms self-installing car seat, due to launch in June 2016, has a retail price of $499.99 and comes with a 2 year warranty. The price of the seat will make it one of the most expensive rear-facing only infant seats on the market, however pre-orders placed in January 2016 will receive a $100 discount. Once the seat comes to market Kid Sitting Safe will report on any industry testing that has been carried out and consumer feedback to give our verdict.
Upon arrival at your destination, the Evenflo SensorSafe™ Technology plays a series of tones to remind you that your baby is in their car seat. These tones are activated through a smart chest clip and wireless receiver. Additionally, the receiver will also notify you if the chest clip becomes unbuckled during transit. This technology is targeting improvements in child safety as statistics show that one child dies every 9 days from vehicular heat stroke.
The ADVANCED SensorSafe™ Embrace™ DLX was launched in 2015 and retails at $149.98. You can check the latest price on Amazon via the below links, however the seat is also available for $149 from Walmart:
Watch out for more innovative child car seat products throughout 2016 on Kid Sitting Safe!