Best Infant Rear Facing Car Seats for 2019
Parents naturally want the best that money can buy when it comes to the safety of their newborns. Infant car seats are an essential item for protecting infants in the event of a collision. These are rear facing only seats and do not convert to forward facing unlike convertible car seats.
The advantage to these seats is that they are extremely lightweight for easy portability in and out of the car. In addition they can also be fitted to stroller frames and can be purchased as part of a car seat stroller combo.
Below you will find our top 5 picks for the best infant car seats for 2019. Our selections have been made across the low-mid-high price ranges to identify the best infant car seat to suit a range of budgets.
The Chicco KeyFit30 infant car seat base is a nice seat and base that is ultra convenient for parents on the go. The advantage with this seat is that you get an easy installation car seat base that can be used on more than one vehicle (additional car seat bases can be purchased separately here. It is designed to accommodate your baby from four to thirty pounds.
the best overall pick for balancing crash protection, ease of use, and vehicle fit for infant seats with greater than 22-pound capacity. It's perfect for driving baby around in style.
- Secures baby from 4 to 30 lbs
- Energy-absorbing foam for improved side-impact protection
- Removable newborn insert for smaller babies
- Thickly cushioned seat pad and five-point harness for maximum comfort
- One click installation gives you assurance once you have properly installed it.
- Option to buy multiple seat bases for easy installation in all your cars.
- LATCH system comes with push-on latch connectors for easy installation.
- Can be used in conjunction with the Chicco Keyfit Caddy Stroller Frame
The Chicco KeyFit30 is safe to use and versatile to install in any car. A perfect choice for any parent. If you're interested in this seat, you can see how the latest "Zip" version of it fares against the latest infant car seat from Britax (B-Safe 35 Elite) in our Britax vs Chicco comparison.
Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat
is available at a discount price on Amazon
The UPPAbaby Mesa is our recommended choice if you want to splash out on some luxury for your loved one. This premium seat offers the best combination of comfort, style, convenience and safety.
The SmartSecure system allows the seat to be installed accurately and safely within just 10 seconds using the LATCH Connectors! A visual indicator changes from red to green to confirm proper installation for your peace of mind. This seat achieved a NHTSA ease of use rating of 5 stars and was the first to pass the NHTSA's new proposed standard for side impact protection.
The 2016 UPPAbaby MESA is available in 5 colours. Featured above is the Jake (Black), other options are: Denny (Red), Georgie (Marine Blue), Pascal (Grey), Lindsey (Wheat).
- Compatible with the UPPAbaby Vista & Cruz travel systems
- Adjustable headrest with Side Impact Protection
- SMARTSecure™ system features auto-retracting lower anchor LATCH attachments
- Built-in lockoff for seatbelt installations
- Apdated breathable & washable fabric
- Suitable for infants from 4 to 35 lbs and 32 inches or less
- No-rethread harness with 5-position front-adjustable headrest
- Includes Infant insert for when your baby is between 4 and 8 pounds
- Includes car seat base
- An absolute breeze to ensure safe installation - super quick & fool proof! The 10 seconds install has been confirmed as accurate by user feedback and independent tests that we have reviewed. A great advantage if you will be regularly taking the seat in and out of the car.
- Works really well with the UPPAbaby travel systems - no adapters required.
- Users love the ease of use and particularly the no-rethread harness
- The carrier is lightweight at under 10lbs
- When the sunshade is down, you cannot put the handle into the down locked position without the handle hitting the sunshade.
- Expensive, but many users have remarked that the price is worth it.
The video below provides a full demonstration of the UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat. This shows how easy and quick it is to install using either the seat belt or LATCH connectors with or without the car seat base.
Next up in our top rated car seats is the SnugRide Click Connect 35. This baby car seat has the advantage of being very lightweight, making it easy for you to carry baby from car to stroller and everywhere in between. This seat is the lightest seat we have found that is designed for babies rear-facing from 4-35pounds.
Furthermore, it is also equipped with Click Connect technology providing one-step attachment to all Graco Click Connect strollers. Best of all, the seat is less than half the price of some of our other top rated infant car seats!
- Weight without base: 9.7 lbs; weight with base: 16.7 lbs.
- Dimensions: 30.7D x 18.7W, x 15.6H inches
- For infants 4-35 lbs. and up to 32 inches
- Safe Seat Engineered - includes side impact testing, testing at twice the car seat standard, and testing to extreme car interior temperatures
- EPS, energy absorbing foam for effective impact energy management
- LATCH-equipped stay-in-car base with one-hand dial adjustment. The base also includes an integrated belt lock-off for easy seat belt installation.
- Easy-to-read level indicator to help ensure proper installation.
- Cushioned with GracoPedic™ luxury foam for extra padding and added comfort
- Compatible with most Graco Strollers using Click Connect System
- Removable infant body support cushions baby.
- The infant seat is lightweight at under 10lbs
- Very easy to install with or without the included base and with either seat belts or LATCH.
- The design of the infant car seat is such that you cannot have the canopy open and the handle in the carry position at the same time.
- A few users have remarked that the padding is not as thick as on some other car seats.
Check out this quick video from Graco which shows off all the features of this great lightweight infant car seat:
This Top Rated Infant Car Seat from Safety 1st has all the essential features required to protect your baby. The Air Protect® technology in this seat provides advanced side impact protection around your little one's head.
Furthermore the car seat base provides 5 different angles so you can find the perfect fit for your car.
- Weight without base: 9 lbs; weight with base: 16 lbs
- Dimensions: Base width 15 inches; carrier width 17 inches; length 28 inches; height 21 inches .
- Suitable for infants rear-facing from 4-35 pounds and 32 inches or less in height.
- Air Protect® Side Impact Protection: advanced air cushion system protects your child’s head in a side impact crash.
- One Click™ LATCH equipped with LATCH storage
- Machine washable seat pad.
- 5-position base for best fit to car
- Infant insert for newborns
- Additional leg room for baby's comfort.
- 4 harness heights and 3 buckle locations to accommodate your growing child
- 5-point harness with up front adjustment
- Excellent padding throughout. Particularly the side impact padding.
- Easy to remove and install on the base.
- Compatible with several Safety 1st Strollers.
- Cannot install this seat without the base. So if you plan to install in more than one car, it would be a good idea to buy an additional base.
An infant car seat is a popular choice for many parents due to the compatibility of these seats with stroller systems. All of these top car seats have a number of strollers that they fit onto quickly and easily.
However the drawback with infant car seats is that they have only a short life-span. The maximum weight limit for most of these seats is 35lbs and some babies will reach that weight before they are 1 years old.
It's important to note the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics that you should keep your child rear facing until at least the age of two.
A convertible car seat is a good choice to move onto after your baby has outgrown their infant car seat. Although most of the top rated convertible car seats can be used for infants from 4lbs in weight, they are not compatible with strollers. This is why most people opt for an infant car seat in the first instance for their newborns.
The ability to move baby from car to stroller seamlessly without having to remove them from their seat is a huge benefit. The other major difference is that the top rated infant car seats are much lighter than convertible car seats.
They are much more versatile and really handy to have around when your baby is small enabling you to move them around with ease while keeping them safe and comfortable.